Many of us have a relatively fair share of people who we know are sushi lovers. It can’t be helped, perhaps, because it’s delicious to many food-obsessed individuals and is also deemed as a healthy meal to others. However, a man from California recently ended up with a traumatic experience after eating sushi on a daily basis.
According to CBS News, the man suffered from diarrhea and discovered a 5-and-a-half-foot tapeworm hanging out of his bottom. At first, he had no idea what it was so he pulled it out and was left shocked upon finding out what it is. He then went to the doctor thereafter to undergo treatment. His doctor, emergency physician Dr. Kenny Bahn, recounted:
“He grabs it, and he pulls on it, and it keeps coming out, and what does it do? It starts moving.”
Dr. Bahn added that the worm was about his height after measuring it. The patient shared he did not travel nor took part in any activities that could have exposed him to parasites. He confessed, though, that he is an ardent eater of sushi, particularly a raw salmon sashimi, and eats one everyday.
Eating raw fish poses low risk of acquiring tapeworm, but Dr. Bahn said that it’s still possible. Salmonella bacteria and other parasitic worms may also be present on the food. Experts then advised customers to not eat at restaurants that are low-graded. Dr. Daniel Eiras, assistant professor of infectious diseases at NYU Langone Medical Center, said:
“I would not go to a restaurant with a ‘C’ rating in New York largely for this reason. It’s a big red flag when a sushi restaurant can’t maintain an ‘A’ rating, because one of the main things they get rated on is refrigeration. They’re not cooking the fish so that is the only prevention method, keeping it cold.”
What are your thoughts on this? Do you also love sushi like this man? Share your comments and reactions below!